Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Return




After spending some amazing time in León - which felt like the political capital of Nicaragua - I felt it time to head back towards Guatemala, my friends and my home in the jungle. I spent my last day in Nicaragua visiting museums dedicated to art from the world, the Nicaraguan revolution, and wandering through the streets soaking in the incredible graffiti that lines the buildings. But having grown tired, visited four beautiful, distinct sites in about ten days, met folks from all of the world, climbed a volcano, eaten amazing food, and thoroughly enjoyed life, my journey home was about the only thing left on my to-do list.

León, 4am: I leave on a bus up to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. This trip, I take believing that it will leave me only about an hour and a half of travel the following day according to every map I've investigated. On top of that, I get the privilege of passing a night in SPS, the HIV/Aids capital of Central America! San Pedro also has a reputation as a very dangerous city, but the people there were wonderful and helpful. I headed off to a cheap hotel when the older woman who helped me not only made phone calls to try to search for the easiest way back home, but even left me an envelope in the morning with half the money I had paid for my room as a discount. We had chatted about volunteer work and how this was just a passing through point on my trip back to the jungle... she was truly a joy.

San Pedro Sula, 4am: For the second consecutive day, I rise well before the sun to start my journey. Having heard many "horror-stories" of this city, I contemplate waiting for the sun to come up and people to start their work day before I head off in search for my bus. But my eagerness to get back to Guatemala pushed me out the door and everyone I encountered in the street offered to help me find the bus I was looking for. Gotta love when stereotypes fall on their faces!

Slight disappointment: I was a bit disappointed that only one prostitute blew me kisses in an attempt to conquer my heart. That said, I only saw one prostitute in plain-sight, so I guess I'm still batting 1.000 in that department, and it could be worse.

As I said earlier, I thought the trip from San Pedro Sula to Puerto Barrios (the closest city to where I live was a short one) and by land it is. But 3 buses and 7 hours later, I finally arrive back in Guatemala and could honestly feel the difference. It's amazing after having spent about 7 or 8 months in this country how I have that feeling that I am home. While I don't see it as a permanent home, for now, it feels right. Seeing some of my students upon arrival working in Buga Mama, our restaurant/practical classroom, a smile broke across my face as these kids have become such an important part of my life. How privileged I am to lead the life that I am living!

Pictures hopefully to be coming soon. Thanks for reading and please e-mail life updates on your ends as I am curious how folks are doing. jesse.schaubenfuerst@gmail.com

For a better world,

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment