Friday, April 10, 2009

Reflections

Still here in Guatemala City. Leaving for Managua, Nicaragua at 3 am. Haven't had this much internet in Guatemala for what seems like all my previous six months combined so please forgive my rambles. Just found out via blogger.com that my zodiac sign is an Ox - not sure exactly how to feel about that. Living in a manatee reserve, I have begun to identify in our giant, peaceful neighbors. But now this new revelation that I may be more of an ox than a manatee is stressing me out.

Really proud of both Iowa's and Vermont's (especially my former home's) step towards equality for our gay brothers and lesbian sisters on the same-sex marriage issue. Shout out to House Rep. Kesha Ram for helping get the job done. The passage and previous debate has helped open up some great conversations down in Guatemala for me about inequality, diversity, and social movements. These have been especially profound with my students who find it difficult to believe in the concept "justice" after so many of their communities were destroyed, family members killed, and any resources taken away by the dominant groups in their society. So thanks to Iowa and Vermont!

Spent today wandering around Guate to see how the folks here celebrate Good Friday, went into a couple cathedrals, talked to some street vendors and kids about why today is such a special day for them. Many spoke to me about the power of Jesus and how he died for our sins. The kids however, seemed more thrilled because this is one of the few days out of the year that families spend part of whatever money they've been saving. Be it an shaved ice in the street or eating out in a restuarant, I saw many children of the street - normally forced into begging and kept out of schools - with sincere smiles on their faces enjoying a treat for maybe this one day out of the year, all while I was walking around in the heat, sweating: Truly a great reward from the kids.

To a better world,

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment