Friday, May 1, 2009

Safety

The other day our project, like many other places, was hit with the panic of the Swine Flu. Volunteer doctors, teachers, program coordinators gathered together with inclined pressure from all sides with the realization that this influenza was actually capable of, and probably had killed people. Clearly our own mortality was brought to the forefront, being in a foreign, developing country, that may lack the necessary and often plentiful resources of our homelands. With such limited information about the flu (where it might have started, and where known cases have been confirmed) it dawned on us as a group that we have 550 students coming back from vacation in the next couple days from every corner of Guatemala. What happens if one of them brings the Swine? With all of the students - and ourseleves - living on top of each other, the flu would undoubtedly travel swiftly from one dormitory to the next, devestating many in its path and possibly leaving some for dead in its wake. The doctors processed the situation, informed themselves through news outlets reporting up to date information, and made the conscious decision to let the students come back.

I did not fear for my life during this episode. No. However, being here in Guatemala, without the safety net of my past in sight, I was forced to face the concept of mortality, even if not of my own. How could I best support our students? My co-workers? The community at-large? This swine flu really confronted me about how the bubble of my childhood and even time at the University allowed me to be passive to such events; to think in myself more than others, and how I was rarely ever (consciously) presented with feeling unsafe.

I went to a friend's hotel for a few days only to encounter a 20-year-old American with flu-like symptoms... talk about a nice escape from the drama! He seems to be improving in health.

This thought led me to another. 13 months ago there was a kidnapping of six tourists five minutes from where I live. With an on-going dispute over land rights, a radical indigenous group protested - what they saw as the unlawful imprisonment of their leader - by kidnapping a tour group. The tourists, according to all reports, were treated well while held hostage, but learning this story certainly was a bit shocking. The shock would continue to grow when I was informed that some people from my own organization were involved in the kidnapping itself. They were fired upon the organization's learning of their role. As of late, this group has been stirring again because the said leader was sentenced to eight years in jail for his role in the organization. I do not pretend to understand the nuances of the situation, nor would feel comfortable casting judgement on this group, as I know that people pushed into corners and compromising circumstances often take extreme measures. That said, the knowledge that this group plans retaliation for the sentencing is much like the swine flu. Whom will they attack? When? Where? There is a feeling of helplessness that comes along with this news, but also cognizance that it, these threats of violence, these outbreaks of illness, cannot stop us from living our lives. And being part of a community, especially in a position of responsibility for young people, my perspective on safety has changed.

Who knows how all these events will pan out. I certainly do not, and in part am happy not to have a script of the future, albeit a scary one at times. We can only put ourselves in the best positions possible, and hope to guide those around us to do the same. While it seems the swine flu will imminently affect some gravely, we hope for the best, safety, and health of all. And in reading this post, I hope all realize that I do not feel in danger in Guatemala. In fact there are more confirmed cases in New York than here; there is more radical or gang related violence from coast to coast in the States than the Mexican and Guatemalan drug cartels jockeying for power or radical indigenous groups could possibly fathom. While the aforementioned safety net may no longer be seen, and very possibly no longer exist, I think that is part of life. And it is there where I find myself.

Thanks for reading, posting comments, and loving those around you.

To a better world,

Jesse

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jesse,
    Having just returned from Africa with the same concerns of swine flu and violence, I find your post very enlightening. I am impressed as always with your insight and maturity. Miss you, Love, your second mom, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesse,
    Man, that situation seems pretty intense if only for the fact that you have been forced to deal with a lot of big issues in a very short amount of time. You seem to handling it well, which does not suprise me in the least bit. It is good to know that you are taking advantage of this situation in that you aren't just focusing of the potential dangers that can affect you, but how this can change your approach to saftey and security (or lack there of) in the various forms it presents itself. I am done next Tuesday with college! Also, I am headed to Chicago for the year in August. We will talk about this later. I miss you a lot, stay well, and keep in touch.
    love,
    tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse I'm glad you're ok man. Mel and I are here together partying duet style at 2 in the morning. What you are doing is amazing and, well, I don't really pray much, but I'll try and send positiveness in your direction via brainwave. Much love. Mel sends hers as well.

    Us

    ReplyDelete