Sunday, July 19, 2009

Las Conchas

For some time, the hype had been built around this place: Las Conchas. "Smaller and less touristy than Semuc Champay" - a tourist hotspot in Guatemala. "Clearer water and more seculded." Upon my arrival with my Austrian doctor friend, Christoph, the reality came to a front. Don't get me wrong. The site itself is quite beautiful, but we were told the season was wrong and coming back in summer would be more adventageous to seeing the aforementioned clear waters or swimming period. Trying to interpret this comment in the middle of July - also known as summer - would be our next task.
I am, however, ahead of myself. A couple days ago we left the project and after a couple of stop offs to change microbuses, we arrived in Chahal where we passed an eventless night in a non-descript room with one of the hardest beds known to humankind. I almost felt I could envision the person who designed the bed, sadistic in his own right, laughing at the poor sucker - me - getting approximately 37 total minutes of sleep.
When we awoke and went exploring for the first micro that would lead to the second micro and in turn, Las Conchas, we met Uswaldo, an apparent good-hearted Zacapatan who offered to take us directly to our destination in his pick-up. We accept his offer and are off, only to return to ton after 10 minuts or so in route because he forgot to get gas. The 45 minute trip was extended by a stop-off at his finca where he gave us a tour, picked us mangos and maintained conversation - all while other passangers waited patiently in the back of the true. He offered us a place to stay, free of change; took us to the hotel where we planned on staying - only to find no one there - and back to Las Conchas for a total of 10 Q. My estimate for gringos in a pick-up as such to be between 200 and 300 Q.
No one, like at the hotel, was there to greet us at Las Conchas. We let ourselves in - bypassing the 35 Q entrance fee - took our pictures and decided to hit the road. With not the greatest of options, we chose to head back towards Rio Dulce to stay at Casa Perico - a hotel located on the river with great food (BBQ buffet!) The trip - waiting time included - should have been 3 1/2 hours. That is, of course, until the truck that had been pulling chivos came passing by and offered us a ride. Initially we tought it would take us to the town to find the micro, but the driver informed us that he would be passing Rio and we were welcome to join him. Cristoph - expert climber - hopped right up effortlessly. After my first several unsuccessful attempts to mount our savior of transportation, and later with the help of Christoph's strength pulling from up in the cab, I dragged myself, ass first on to our chariot. It as upon standing that I realized the substance and stench that was now on my backpack, body and clothes. At first, denial set in and I told myself it was mud, but with everyone having a good laugh, I finally let the reality that I was covered in chivo shit set in.
Fortunately I am freshly showered and waiting to head back to the project for my last few weeks there. Looking forward to coming home and the big decision that lies ahead. Pictures will follow this post
Write with any life updates - jesse.schaubenfuerst@gmail.com

To a better world,

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment