Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Future

With a ticket back to the US in just over a month, I have begun to think quite a bit more about the future. You know, those two words that dictate where we'll live; how we'll pay the bills; the whole nine yards. After living abroad for just about a year now, I feel the transition back to my country of origin to be a tough one, but not an impossible one. That said, a recent opportunity has arisen in Guatemala. It will be a decision I have to make before leaving in a month, I believe. A great job offer; experiences to learn and grow, advance any sort of career I want to have in the future, and help bring education to a part of Guatemala where it is lacked. At 23 years old, I know that two years is not a huge commitment. But the idea to envision myself not at 23 today, but at 25, having spent the last three years of my life in Guatemala is a startling one. I still no not what I will do. In fact, I don't even know when I have to inform my organization of my decision. But the last few weeks have been spent feeling like the ball in a game of pong - shot back from one decision to another.

Being considered for a position as such has helped to realize maybe, some sense of self-worth in the professional sense. The reality of the situation is that this will be my first true employment. To start out overseeing an entire project site - the creation of a new school in an area where education is unseen - is often unimaginable. The responsibility is great; the potential incredible; the learning will be exponential. The economy and job market the way it is in the States also isn't the most pleasant "Welcome Home" sign either. Coupled with all those is the reality of going to a more remote jungle; to be the contact person for the surrounding communities - the share my organization's vision of indigenous education; at times feeling like - and possibly being - the only person out at this new site; working part time in Guatemala City which is neither the prettiest or safest cities in the world.

Anyway, there are many factors that need weighing. Input always welcome.

To a better world,

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment