Saturday, June 13, 2009

Life

It's been a while since I have made my way back to the blog. Pinpointing the reason is not a simple task. I think when I look at this blog that has taken task to document the second half of my Guatemalan journey, it brings my reality back home. The date is June 13th. That leaves me just over two months left until I fly back to the States. My goal, it seems - at least when I let myself think about it long enough - is to come back to Latin American in the years to come. The means? That I am unsure of still. But my quality of life down here is amazing. I feel healthy, happy, and am learning at an exponential rate. At the same time, there are things back home that I miss. A friend of mine said the other day that when it comes to living in your country of origin or abroad, there are sacrifices. While living on the river in the jungle is breath-taking, the absence of family and life-long friends makes me want for home. If only we could mix the two worlds. That said, my friends here in Guatemala have filled my life with so much joy; my students drop pearls of wisdom on me constantly while challenging me about what I think I know about "education;" and when I sit down to lok at the world around me, I smile. That's a good sign.

Half-heartedly I look for work. Knowing that if and when I find work, it means this chapter will close. Not to say I can't come back, but it is true it will never be the same. Leaving behind my new Guatemalan family will not be easy, but I look forward to the adventure. Forward any job postings?!?! :)

Recently, I read a book by Haruki Murakami. It was great to be encapsulated by a book again. When I first got to the project, I was not overly enamoured with the community. As a younger person I had never read too much. But with forture, over time my desire to read increased, and the free time at the project and a personal library at our disposal, I was reading five books a week. When the community and my role at the organization improved, reading went to the wayside. Anyway, short rant, but read "Dance Dance Dance" if you want to be laugh at the simple humor of every day's common occurrences around us.

A special happy birthday to those whom it applies.

Wish I had something more of interest to share, but I am afraid that I am fresh out. I'd love to hear about some of what's going on in your worlds. E-mail me at jesse.schaubenfuerst@gmail.com

To a better world,

Jesse

1 comment:

  1. I wish both worlds could be mixed too but I think you're doing an amazing job with what you do have and will continue to do so with whatever life brings you.

    Looking forward to the next chapter :)

    Sna

    ReplyDelete